Roy Davis Jr. is a professional recording artist specializing in house music on the Ubiquity record label. Davis grew up in Chicago, Illinois, and was turned on to house music at an early age by house pioneer Lil' Louis.

Davis began his own production company named Phuture in the late 1980s. In the 1990s Davis teamed with Chicago vocalist Peven Everett and recorded the hit single, "Gabriel" (Large/XL). The track garnered large amounts of airplay in radios and nightclubs all around the world. The single sold over 250,000 copies, and has appeared on dozens of compilation albums including Desert Island Mix from Gilles Peterson. The song drove Davis into his current artistic direction of soulful & spiritual house music. Davis was also a member of the acid-house group Phuture during the 1990s. Roy describes his style as “Soul Electrica,” a hybrid of soul and electronic music. He was introduced to dance music by late 1980’s legends as DJ Pierre, Farley Jackmaster Funk, Marshall Jefferson, and Lil’ Louis. “I’ve always been in to Music but these were the DJs that really inspired me. Lil’ Louis was always my favorite DJ because he knew how to play it all, from mellow, club, classics, he was so diverse – he taught me how to mix it up, that’s how I got my style,” says Davis Jr. “ I started DJing myself when I was 12 or 13, spinning break dance music, Italian disco, then house.” The turning point for Roy Davis Jr. was in 1993. While in college he was asked to work as and A+R scout for Strictly Rhythm in NYC. He went out to the East Coast weekly, and was subsequently hired to start his own sub-label called Red Cat records.

download movie

0 comments

Blog Archive

Categories